Egyptians used Black Pepper in the mummification process – researchers found it in the abdomen and nostrils of Ramses II.
Black pepper essential oil is warming, soothing and supportive of muscles. Its warm embrace helps those with muscle discomfort especially after a workout or rigorous exercise. It is also energizing to the mind while being comforting to the body.
Mentally its spicy and warm aroma is stimulating and empowering. Black pepper is good for those of us who worry constantly and have great stress. It empowers us to release those negative energies and embrace our own power. It also gives us the physical stamina and courage to overcome the things that are creating the problems to begin with.
Black pepper also helps us “digest” unhealthy feelings towards people especially ourselves. This is especially helpful for those who are too self critical and angry or upset with themselves.
There are over 100 different pepper species in the pepper family. The pepper essential oils should be made from is called Piper nigrum. The essential oil of pepper is distilled from the Fruit/berries of the plant.
In the distant past, black pepper was considered sacred and was even used as a form of currency. It was so valuable, that it was traded for gold and was one of the most prized trade items exported from India to the rest of the world.
Did you know that “Pepper” was used in a figurative sense to mean “spirit” or “energy”? Records indicate, that as far back as the 1840s it was used in that sense. Then eventually it was shortened to the word “pep” that we use today”. Indian monks ate several peppercorns every day during their travels. It helped them getting more endurance.
The main components of black pepper essential oil are: Limonene, Pinene, Myrcene, Phellandrene, Beta Caryophyllene, Beta Bisabolene, Sabinene, Linalol, Pinocarveol, Alpha Termineol, Camphene and Alpha Terpenene.
11 Favorite uses of black pepper essential oil:
- Combine one to two drops with fractionated coconut oil to soothe sore muscles and joints or to warm the skin during cold weather.
2. Diffuse or inhale directly to soothe anxious feelings.
3. Dilute 1 drop and rub over the heart center for emotional support.
4. Massage 1-2 drops into the soles of the feet daily.
5. Diffuse for increased energy.
6. For a muscle rub: In a 5ml roller bottle; add 5 drops Peppermint, 3 drops Clove, 5 drops Wintergreen and 3 drops Black Pepper essential oils.
7. To summon inner strength, diffuse; 2 drops Basil, 2 drops Bergamot, 1 drop Cinnamon, 1 drop Lemon and 1 drop Black Pepper.
8. Blend with coconut oil to warm and promote circulation.
9. Take one to two drops in veggie caps daily when seasonal threats are high.
10. Add to meats, soups, entrees, and salads to enhance food flavor and aid digestion.
11. Rub on belly area to help to ground yourself.